Re: Flight of fantasy

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Flight of fantasy
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:42:37 -0000

>A simple, lightweight system, then ;-)
>
>Can I guess at 100bT Ethernet and TCP/IP?

Bang on, - I figured what's the value in running multiple speaker,
microphone, IR and who-knows-what else cables all over the house, just so
that you can send audio and IR signals all over the place? - Why move this
stuff around at all? - why not generate the audio or IR or whatever at the
point that is is needed? I guess vide "could" be done the same
way, (IE
digitised and streamed over the LAN), but there I'd suggest that was going
bit far, and it really would make sense to run a dedicated cable, - using
some of Keiths KAT5 modules of course!  ;-)

> >Now, it seems to me like it should work as I think it does, (but
of
>course
> >you may know better!), and it is nothing more than a flight of my
fantasy
>at
> >the moment, but I'd sure be interested to know what any other
seasoned
> >HA'ers make of my ideas...

>Well, I also had a 'grand vision' a couple of years ago for a similar
>networked architecture, and put it on the web:
>http://www.amarok.demon.co.uk/dl/dl_protocol.html
>
>This got as far as a TCP/IP based weather station driver, an 8255 IO
>card driver and Dan Lancini's x10d (TCP/IP based CM12U driver)
>http://www.amarok.demon.co.uk/aned/aned_driver.html

Thanks for those links, I'll have a look at them later, I don't claim to be
the first to have thought of doing it this way, in fact I'd be
flabbergasted
at such a suggestion! - it seems so obvious that I'm sure plenty of other
people must have thought of it before....

>Sun reckon 'the network is the computer' and I tend to agree. The
>problem comes when you want to link a RS232-based PIC heating
>thermostat (I got as far as a spec to design my own) to a x10
>controlled fan heater.
>
>Ignoring the hardware, how does one device get to know about the other
>in a consistent way? "A1 AON" is not really flexible enough.
>
>Perhaps Java and Jini or HPNA will solve this with a naming service
>and comms server. In the meantime, hackers keep reinventing homebrew
>scripts (Unix shell, VB, Perl...) or save up to use a commercial
>package.
>
>There has to be a better way...

Agreed!

Paul G.