Re: Ant's homebrew motion detector

James Derrick wrote:

> Sounds rather interesting- if you get past making a nice GUI in
> KDevelop and want a Beta tester...

No, I'm making a nasty GUI in C++ ;) It's really just a test app for the
library, but you're welcome to have a go.

> Perhaps your more computational approach is better, particularly when
> combined with detection 'zones' on the image like a PIR.

Yes, my system has a PIR input for each video channel, so I plan to use
that as the first line of detection.

> My grand plan is to use small relays to switch between several
> cameras, so my ideal detection method must not need a constant signal
> and have a low settling time between switching. Storing several
> reference background images would seem to be an advantage here.

Yeah, me too. I've got four camera inputs, so the library currently
supports a separate instance for each camera. If you need another
camera, you just create a new 'Scene' object. It doesn't really care
about the sampling interval between frames, you just pass each Scene a
new frame as and when it's available.

> If 'real' world test images are of use, I can generate hours of
> 640x480 mono or colour.

If you can send me some short mono sequences of stuff moving about,
that'd be cool. My test images are, as you've seen, shite ;).

> You KDE reference points towards a Penguin rather than a Daemon,

Pengiun? Eh? The motion detector stuff lives in a library. I'm only
writing the KDE app so I can experiment with it easily. Ultimately, I'll
want some sort of dameon that uses it, and squirrels images away, does
notification etc.

> but 512x512 is an odd screen resolution. Are you using a dedicated
image processing device?

It's the resolution of the test sequence I had, which probably came off
a big expensive framestore in some vision lab somewhere.

> After moving from my last house, I gave up and installed vertical
> blinds- much lighter to drive with slow gear motors. Why not try
> changing the problem? ;)

Heh. No way. My curtain opener rules! It's just a bit willful ;).

cheers

ant
ant@xxxxxxx

eLerts