Re: Webpads

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Webpads
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:49:50 -0000

> >Funnily enough I have an old laptop infront of me at the moment
that has
> >been through the wars and is in such a bad physical state that it
could
> >never be seriously used as a portable again. However it does work
(I just
> >stuck Windows ME on it today for a laugh) and I was wondering if I
could
> >detach the screen, extend the wiring from the base to the screen
and then
> >use it in the kitchen. The idea might be for the screen to hang on
> >cupboard door and the base (with keyboard and touch pad mouse) to
be in a
> >drawer. I would guess that I would need a couple of meters of
cable between
> >the two halves. Is this likely to be feasible or is it a non-
starter ?

Can't you just fold the base "back on itself" by breaking the
hinge -
so that it then has an A4 form factor? The keyboard should be easy to
remove from the base making it slightly slimmer. Most laptops have an
external keyboard/mouse port. Not sure how a laptop bios reacts to
the absence of the internal keyboard tho.

I don't think "extending" the screen connections will prove
viable -
they're likely to be physically tricky to deal with (fine ribbon
cable) - and I guess carry reasonably high frequency signals.
Capacitance over a long run is likely to be bad karma.

Patrick

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/2065/_/974224197/