Re: A plea for source material

At 10:42 13/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Motion has a fairly naive detection algorithm

True, but it's easy to set up.  I just took one of the captured images,
processed it in Gimp to make the mask, and off it went.  After a bit of
use, I changed the detection threshold, and it's been fairly reliable.

>How accurate do you find Motion in real use? Do you get many false
>triggers?

I have a setup where one camera is on by default, with switching to others
if their local detector is triggered.  Obviously, it gets a 'false trigger'
when switching, but that's actually useful.  The difficult thing is that it
can't use a different mask when the cameras switch.  It would be possible
to set it up (via Comfort's UCM and a simple script), but it doesn't really
matter in my application.

I don't get many false trigggers during the day, but I have a problem at
night.  The camera is pointing along a road, and it's the B&Q Kingavon
one.  Car headlights on the road are masked by motion, but the camera
produces a 'star' effect around them which can't really be worked
round.  I'll probably replace the camera, some day...

The only false triggers I get in the day are when one small tree flexes in
the wind, it's about person-sized and quite bendy!  I suppose I could get a
colour camera and add a green splodge to the filter mask in that area :-)

Nigel

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/3/_/2065/_/974113309/