Phonex powerline comms

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Phonex powerline comms
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:05:00 +0100

ISTR there was some discussion of this a while back on here.

http://www.phonex.com/products_intl.html
has some info about the phone=20
extender things in Dixons etc, providing phone extensions over the=20
powerline.  6.5 million of them installed in the US, I am informed!

Typical range, under 100m, I'm told they need to be on the same 'ring=20
main', but I suspect they mean on the same phase and maybe same consumer=20
unit.  There's some sort of security coding, data is transmitted on a 3 to=
=20
8 MHz carrier, capable of modem speeds up to 38kbps according to the
brochu=
re.

Has anyone actually bought one of these for phone extensions?
Apparently=20
they are sold under the Thomson brand, for =A380.  Obviously (?) the=20
extension won't work if the power fails... I'd be interested to hear how=20
reliable it is in use.

They are developing home networking products, but not currently for home=20
control.

Nigel

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/9/_/2065/_/972990361/