ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ADSL
  • From: "Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:51:40 +0100

Since I found aout my exchange is ADSL enabled (woohoo!) I've canceled by
Cable & Wireless connection (which I was going to do anyway), and I'm
going
back to BT.

I've been scouring ISP's the length and breadth of the country trying to
find one that offers or is planning to offer a DSL service, and they've all
come back with the same answer - "No, it'd be too expensive to
offer". Only
one of those ISP's actually quoted a price (uklinux.net) at 200+ ukp, plus
an "excess bandwidth charge" which they havn't been quoted a
price for.

It seems BT have priced this service, not only out of the common man's
price
range, but also out of the ISP's who must offer it, the only 2 ISP's that I
know of to offer a DSL service are Freenetname and Demon, but they're both
only trials, with no details of what the final price will be.

I seem to remember OFTEL telling BT they must offer the service at a rate
of
around 50 ukp a month, or did I just dream that?

Does anyone else know of any ISP's offering DSL at a proper rate, or indeed
has anyone been quoted any prices whatsoever for a DSL service?

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2712/5/_/2065/_/955187587/