Re: Nigel on a bicycle :-))

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Nigel on a bicycle :-))
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:45:12 +0100

A jihad on the apostate Nigel.

Mark Harrison
Campaign for Clean Mains

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Doxey [mailto:keith.doxey@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 October 1999 13:18
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Nigel on a bicycle :-))

BACKPEDDLE !!!!

Face it.....X10 is a good way to get started and for many people will be
all they need. As long as you are prepared to live with the inherrant
problems that X10 suffers from it is fine. The problem is that, like me and
a few other technically minded people on this list, you are aware of X10's
limitations and have the ability if not the time to create a custom system
to suit your needs. My intention is also to have my own system the way I
want it, but until I have fully developed what I want to use I am using a
limited amount of X10 to give me a degree of automation.

You also identified the other advantage of X10.
The house I am currently in is not big enough for me and I want to move to
a much larger house in the not too distant future. X10 allows me to
automate in a way that can be normalised very easily and quickly. That is
something that should also be considered when going for a full blown
automated home as well. A future owner may not want all the techno goodies
and it would be foolish to design a house that would cost thousands to
normalise when for an extra couple of hundred at the time of customisation
you could make it possible to normalise te house in a couple of days for
almost zero cost.

Mind you dont fall off the bike :-))

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation

BTW, I should make it clear that my buying some X10 kit doesn't change the
fact that I don't like it as a concept, in case you're all thinking I'm
converted.
;-)

Nigel
--
Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______
Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(

Java or juggling?.  Everybody learns something at Learn2.com.  Where
you'll find thousands of free 2torials, affordable online courses, and
useful tips for everyday life.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/964

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications

Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
Learn2 Negotiate a Raise.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965