Re: Lamp Module: A cautionary tale!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Lamp Module: A cautionary tale!
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:10:27 GMT

I "inadvertantly" did this once with a "normal" plug-in
lamp module - I
accidentally plugged a desk fan into it by mistake, and was most confused
for a while as to why my fan would only seem to run at a very slow speed
(until I spotted my mistake!). Once I changed the plugs around though, the
LM12 was no worse for the experience...

PG.

>From: James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Lamp Module: A cautionary tale!
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:24:36 +0100
>
>On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:09:42 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Does the same restriction apply to the other lamp modules : LM12U,
LD10?

> >Adrian Lucas
>
>I don't know for certain, but the lack of a neutral connection to the
>LW10U may make it much more prone to problems like this. It gets all
>its power in series with the load so if the load has a low-impedance
>starter circuit, the module will see a lot of current surges.
>
>"Normal" 3-pin plugin lamp modules have beed used to power
>non-incadescent loads, although of course this is not recommended.
>---
>James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle,
>England
>                  Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
>                  Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were
>young,
>                  In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications