Re: Relays - plea for help!

Hi Ray,

Its probably the SSR not switching off completely due to the inductive
nature of the load (relay).
This causes a small residual current to flow at the zero crossing of the
mains thus keeping the SSR conducting. As the mains voltage rises it
conducts further. the relay chatter is due to the current dropping below
the holding current for the relay at the zero crossing but then the relay
reoperates as the voltage/current increases for the next cycle of the
mains.

Look in the Maplin catalogue at  YR90X R-C Network (p548) @ ?2.99 each.
This is just a resistor and mains rated capacitor in series with each other
which is connected across the output of the SSR as a snubber network. This
absorbs the back EMF from the relay allowing the SSR to switch off fully.
You can use discrete components if you wish although the snubber is a
neater solution.

You could temporarily also try connecting a small (15W) light bulb across
the supply to the relay to see if that will allow the SSR to switch off.

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation