Re: ADSL Price Increased!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: ADSL Price Increased!
  • From: "Brendan" <jbh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:16:43 -0000

Andrew,

See attached, for info.

Brendan
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Roberts <andrew@xxxxxxx>
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Date: 23 November 1999 11:09
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: ADSL Price Increased!

>According to Internet Magazine today
>BT have just increased price for ADSL service
>in London from £30 to £49.99 a month
>and slashed the bandwidth from 2Mbps to just 512kbps.
>
>Speculation is that it is to protect BT's leased line market
>which is worth £194 million annually.
>
>Regards
>
>Andrew Roberts (Technical Sales Manager)
>Comfort Home Controls
>(New Sales Line 44(0)1244 680675)
>(New Tech Line 44(0)906 3004444)
>Manufacture, Distribution & Support
>Home Page: http://www.comfort.org.uk
>email: andrew@xxxxxxx

offered
>as pack-
>aged services into any home with a POTS line or Cable connection.In the
UK.
>These likely to start rolling out shortly e.g. Kingston's offering.
>See attached re BT's ADSL.
>
>Regards
>Brendan

you're interested in what is essentially a
>digital VCR, recording to hard disk - meaning you can play back whilst
>still recording.
>
>The best bit is the price is approx £450 if the dollars translate
>directly to pounds. Sadly though, the site doesn't state whether it
>works with PAL, which presumably means it doesn't. I've mailed them to
>find out though...
>
>REB Barnett
>Systems Developer
>Trojan Consultants

>Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
>specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
>and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143
>

>-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
>-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ha_d&m=

>Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
>specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
>and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143

>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1

>Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
>specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
>and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143

>-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1

Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1

Title: Nildram ADSL Services

Latest News

Keep a check on this page for all the latest on BT's rollout of ADSL and Nildram's service plans.

18th November 1999

The BT trial of ADSL is apparently now underway. This trial was unfortunately severely restricted to only 5,000 consumers nationwide. Wholesale pricing has also been published, and for the basic service, which provides a 512kbps download speed and 256kbps upload speed, with a contention ratio of 20:1 (i.e. 20 other users will be competing with you for that bandwidth), the pricing works out as follows:

Installation: £260 + VAT
Annual Rental: £1065 + VAT

In addition to these charges, any ISP providing the service will have to pay for a connection to BT to deliver the data inwards. At its cheapest, this will work out at an additional £50 per annum, and at its most expensive, £745 per annum (this all depends on volume). On top of that, we then have to deliver your data across the Internet and make a charge for that.

You can probably see from these figures that unless BT does some drastic price cutting, we are still a long way off from the £40/month figures that the press like to dream about. More like £150 - £200 a month, we suspect.

Nildram fully intends to offer this service just as soon as we are able. However, we don't expect the BT rollout to start until March 2000, and then it will be a fairly gradual process. After all, BT don't want to stop the tills ringing from the sound of all those dial-up call minutes that are being generated every day until they are really forced to do so, one way or the other.

20th August 1999

Latest news from BT is that the trial launch will begin in October 1999, and service will be available from the following exchanges in London:

Acton, Addiscombe, Albert Dock, Barnet, Bermondsey, Bishopsgate, Bloomsbury,
Canonbury, Catford, Chiswick, Colindale, Covent Garden, Cricklewood, Crouch End,
Croydon, Deptford, Dulwich, Ealing, Faraday, Finchley, Fulham, Golders Green,
Hammersmith, Hampstead, Hendon, Howland Street, Kentish Town, Lee Green,
Lords, Lower Holloway, Maida Vale, Mitcham, Muswell Hill, New Southgate, Nine
Elms, North Finchley, North Paddington, Palmers Green, Poplar, Primrose Hill,
Purley, Romford, Rushey Green, Shepherds Bush, South Kensington, Southbank,
Staines, Stratford, Streatham, Sutton Cheam, Thornton Heath, Upper Holloway,
Upton Park, Uxbridge, Wallington, Watford, Westminster, Weybridge, Whitehall, Wood Street
>From March 2000, service will be available from a total of 400 exchanges - including London, Cardiff, Belfast, Coventry, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Early indications show that prices could be as much as £200 per month for an all-inclusive service - nothing like as cheap as many people have been led to believe. However, even at this price, the service will still offer outstanding value for money compared to the available alternatives.

Real Service In a
Virtual World