Re: House Wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: House Wiring
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:13:43 -0000

Steve,

Some points for you to consider:

1: I'm not convinced that STP is worth paying the premium for over UTP.
My own view is that you need a _really_ hostile EMF environment before
it makes much difference, and if you want to run very fast data, you're
probably better off with optical fibre anyway. (I may be about a year
out of date on this, though - what do others think?)

2: In my view, 2*UTP is a underspecified. I could, today, use up three
runs per room (1*phone, 1*balanced audio, 1*PC network). This is based
on well understood, off-the-shelf technology without going into any of
the fancy things that the gurus in this group do. Also remember that UTP
can be used as a generic multi-core system, so could subsequently carry,
say, thermostat, or PIR, or ...

3: Install trunking! Put in as much wide-gauge plastic trunking as you
can, together with the cabling equivalent of "rodding holes" at
junctions. Also, put several separate runs of string along each! This
will allow you to retro-fit the cabling of your choice in a few years
time by the simple expedient of tieing one end to the piece of string,
and pulling it through!

Regards,

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance