Re: House Wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: House Wiring
  • From: steve@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:54:21 -0000

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

> 1: I'm not convinced that STP is worth paying the premium for over
UTP.
> My own view is that you need a _really_ hostile EMF environment before
> it makes much difference, and if you want to run very fast data,
you're
> probably better off with optical fibre anyway. (I may be about a year
> out of date on this, though - what do others think?)

The reason for STP is indeed EMF but the reverse of why most people use
STP! I'm a radio amateur and it's to prevent unwanted RF leaking out of the
network than the other way round. Speed isn't a great requirement -
currently running 10BaseT and will upgrade to 100 when the cost of hubs
drops to a reasonable level.

> 2: In my view, 2*UTP is a underspecified. I could, today, use up three
> runs per room (1*phone, 1*balanced audio, 1*PC network). This is based
> on well understood, off-the-shelf technology without going into any of
> the fancy things that the gurus in this group do. Also remember that
UTP
> can be used as a generic multi-core system, so could subsequently
carry,
> say, thermostat, or PIR, or ...

Good point. Phones are not a general requirement as I run DECT. I intended
to run unbalanced audio along the screened cable I installed (no run is
longer than 12 metres) and,if necessary,convert to balanced and make do
with a single stereo pair. If I need extra twisted pair I can always be
naughty and use the spare pairs on each cable.

> 3: Install trunking! Put in as much wide-gauge plastic trunking as you
> can, together with the cabling equivalent of "rodding holes"
at
> junctions. Also, put several separate runs of string along each! This
> will allow you to retro-fit the cabling of your choice in a few years
> time by the simple expedient of tieing one end to the piece of string,
> and pulling it through!

Well - yes - this would be great but this house is over 100 years old and
it's difficult enough getting the mains cable installed tidily let alone a
trunking system! Actually, putting extra cable in isn't too much of a
problem - I'll be using screws to fit the relevant floorboard back and the
service duct has got loads of space left.

Thanks for your comments.  Apart from the fibre optic I think I'm on the
right track. I've brought all the connections to a CAT5 patch panel, a BNC
patch panel and a jack socket panel under the stairs - Are BNC's / Jacks
the recommended Video / Audio connectors?

I also wish to put a IR repeater system in - Is there anywhere on the net
with suitable designs? (This is probably why I should put some extra cat5
in!)

I cannot believe the price of X10 kit in this country - Why is it so
ridiculously priced? Presumably limited demand and 240V requirement?

Steve.

Tired of waiting for your stock quotes and charts to load?
StockMaster is super-fast for quotes, charts, news, and portfolios.
Markets don't wait, why should you?  http://www.stockmaster.com/?a=f9

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d