Re: Security systems

If you are still open to the idea of a wired alarm system then you might
want to take a look at http:\\www.comfort.org.uk I've just ordered one,
so can't yet vouch for how the sales pitch reconciles with the reality
of the system, but I'm expecting quite high things from it!

Take a look at the site for more details since the info given is quite
detailed. The main advantage to the system from my point of view is that
the system is designed principally as an alarm, with home automation
added. I looked at the SK8000 and decided that it wasn't secure enough
for me to rely upon it as an alarm.

As for upgradability and integration with a home automation system,
Comfort has a built in X10 interface and the whole unit appears to be
programmable to the extent that I am planning to get it to control
lights and heating by monitoring activity on the PIRs, alarm state (home
or away) and ambient light and heat levels. The advantage being that
everything is controlled from one box and there's no unreliable
communication links or dependancy on a computer running full time.

I can let you know how I get on if you are interested - hopefully it
will turn up next week sometime...

Ray Barnett