Re: Punchdown blocks

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Punchdown blocks
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:39:32 +0100

At 15:37 29/07/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I wouldnt use krone strips for Ethernet. Might be OK for 10Mbps but
the=20
>CAT5 100Mbps spec states that the wire should be seperated by no more
than=
=20
>1cm.

OK, I'll stick the net cables straight into patch panels.  There aren't
going to be many anyway (none for the bedrooms yet :-P)

>cables like this (pair numbers only are shown)
>1234123412
>3412341234

Wouldn't=20
1234123412
1234123434
be easier?  Just an idle observation...

>The "2 wires per contact" mustnt be exceeded as the third
wire will only=20
>just be gripped by the IDC connector and a bad joint will result.=20

That wasn't quite what I was asking- I read somewhere that you should only
use 1 wire per block, and use another "bussed" area of block to
make
additional connections- it's good news that I can use 2, and I don't need
3!

>NEVER use different sizes of wire in the same IDC as the larger wire
will=
=20
>force the contacts apart and the smaller wire will have a bad
connection.

I can see that the 2 wires do have to be the same diameter, but can one be
solid 24AWG and one 7/0.2 (also 24AWG)?  I would expect that I won't come
across a situation where that is necessary, but it'd be good to know.

>Keep the cable sheaths to the left or right of the metal cage that
the=20
>strips attach to as there is a wiring loop in the centre of the krone
strip=
=20
>that almost touches the chassis.=20

That bit makes no sense to me at all, but I suspect all will become clear
when I see the bits in front of me ;-)

>Also when you play with the wiring tool to see how the cutter
operates,=20
>have a box of plasters ready coz it bleeds a lot when you nip your
fingers=
=20
>in the blades :-((

That's OK, I've already performed that essential step doing some network
wiring for someone who had the tool already ;-(

>If they list the 500 series of box conns have a look at them.
Probably=20
>mucho expensivo but very nice. Metal cabinets with a hinged door and
lots=
=20
>of room inside. Although they are quite a bit more than the 301A you
will=
=20
>only need one and it may come reasonably close on price.

301A (up to 100pr) are about =A312 +VAT, 510 (340pr) are about =A3120 +VAT-
=
think I will go for the 301, and keep each system of wiring in its own
little box.  The other option I was considering was the 3U rack that RS
sell- up to 150 pairs in 3 sections... I will have some 19" racking in
the
cupboard anyway, but I think separate boxes on the wall will probably be
neater, and more accessible.

>The worst I could do is ignore you....but I'm too nice a guy for that
:-))

Thanks for all the help so far- much appreciated.  Just out of interest,
can you or Mark tell me how you are connecting up all the cat-5 in Mark's
installation?  ISTR you were talking about 6-8 outlets per room- loadsa
pairs!  Is Keith preparing for another trip to N.I. when the house is
complete with his punchdown tool for a weekend of wirebashing?  Enquiring
minds an' all that!

Nigel

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications