Re: Punchdown blocks

Hi Nigel,

I wouldnt use krone strips for Ethernet. Might be OK for 10Mbps but the
CAT5 100Mbps spec states that the wire should be seperated by no more than
1cm. To wire a Krone strip you separate by at least 3cm. Also because there
are 10 pairs per strip and 4 pairs in a CAT5 you end up terminating the
cables like this (pair numbers only are shown)
1234123412
3412341234
1234123412
3412341234

Inserter Wire 2A is the tool used by all BT engineers and at around 15 quid
is well worth the investment. The difference between a 237A and 237B is
that the A type has break jacks between the upper and lower row of
contacts. This can be used to disconnect wiring temporarily for testing by
inserting a special plastic wedge, or more importantly, you can plug
lightning arrestors into the strips to protect your goodies.

The "2 wires per contact" mustnt be exceeded as the third wire
will only
just be gripped by the IDC connector and a bad joint will result. Also
NEVER use different sizes of wire in the same IDC as the larger wire will
force the contacts apart and the smaller wire will have a bad connection.

Terminate just the fixed cable on the top, and jumper to the bottom, daisy
chaining is OK as you will only have 2 wires in each connector.

Keep the cable sheaths to the left or right of the metal cage that the
strips attach to as there is a wiring loop in the centre of the krone strip
that almost touches the chassis. Be careful not to trap the wires as you
insert the strip into the frame.

Also when you play with the wiring tool to see how the cutter operates,
have a box of plasters ready coz it bleeds a lot when you nip your fingers
in the blades :-((

If they list the 500 series of box conns have a look at them. Probably
mucho expensivo but very nice. Metal cabinets with a hinged door and lots
of room inside. Although they are quite a bit more than the 301A you will
only need one and it may come reasonably close on price.

Any more question feel free to ask.
The worst I could do is ignore you....but I'm too nice a guy for that :-))

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation