Re: plea from poor X10 user

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: plea from poor X10 user
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:33:41 +0100

> I'm not prepared to go with a system that
> requires non-standard modifications to the house fittings- for example
> cat-5 to lightswitches, instead of T&E.

I was just looking round the cabling at the weekend (the floors are finally
going down upstairs so last chance to make changes).  I was thinking to
myself that in a few years time the whole wiring thing won't be necessary
at
all!  With BlueTooth and similar technologies (I read about wireless LANs
using DECT technology the other day) there will probably be a nice and easy
wireless route for all this stuff in a few years time.

> I will be buying Comfort soon (I will, Andrew, honestly I will!!!),
which
> seems like the perfect way to get things started,

Comfort IS the perfect starting point!!!  I cannot stress enough to anyone
on this list that's thinking of getting into HA that Comfort should form
the
backbone of your system.  It is a fabulous product that is constantly being
developed and support is really first rate!

> I don't see the need for 8 outlets in a room (I have no wish to
> see a computer in my bedroom or dining room, for example,

Not everyone will need or want 8 outlets in a room.  If however, you are
building a house from the ground up then it would be foolish not to try and
cater for all eventualities for the price of a few extra metres of cable.
You may think you'll never want a computer in your bedroom...however a few
months ago my wife was sitting in bed typing a letter on the laptop.  She
then had to save it to floppy then take it to the computer room to print.
In the new house she'll be able to print straight from the bedroom over the
LAN.

> I also don't like X10, which changes things a little...

Who does :-)
X10 is far from perfect but what else is as available, inexpensive
(relatively) and allows your PC to talk to your alarm to talk to your HV
etc
etc...

Regards

M.

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications