Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?

Hi Des,

Run trunking inside fitted cupboards/wardrobes to go between floors.
Choose an easily lifted floorboard as a central raceway through the house.
Install additional empty conduit where you have boxes that might need other
cables adding.

Its difficult to plan for everything, and possibly not cost effective to
have lots of empty trunking lying unused. Just consider the areas where
having to add more cable would cause the most disruption to decor and cause
severe earbending from 'SWMBO' and consider what you will do if the need
arises.

If you are already thinking 'I might need to put in a xxxxxxxx' then IMHO
you ought to be putting it in now.

Future planning is for things that you have NEVER heard of, or that havent
been invented yet.
If you have heard of it then you should already have considered it and
either made provision for it or consigned it to the 'I will never have
that' list.

Just like I did for satellite in 1985 when I wired my present house......
then spent lots of time and effort in 1993 to run CT100 everywhere.......
then again in 1996 when I installed a PBX......
and now in 1999 I need more cables for my PC network :-((

Most of all I need a MUCH bigger house.....and next time I will do it
right.
They say you learn more from what you do wrong than what you do right.

Its TRUE !!!  :-))

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation