Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:54:00 +0100

> > full depth 'cooker boxes'
>
> Are these the 47mm ones?  That's what I have used.

Yes

> > If you have not used deep boxes you can get angled outlet
> > which means you don't have to bend the cable.
>
> There are other considerations for most people that require bends
> somewhere
> in the routing (conduits etc).

I agree, but we are not talking about hosepipe, I have put a lot into my
renovation and not had any problem, perhaps that is a bit of a exaggeration
I have had to take my time over the connectors in the wall skts as I did
not
want to damage the cable, but you have a similar problem with CT100

> > The price difference is about 20% more for CT125 over CT100 but
it
> performs about 30 - 40 %
> > better.
>
> Where do you get these figures from John?

I cannot remember, a cable data sheet set but I am not sure which company.
However I have just looked up in RS and Farnell. at 1000Mhz CT125 16.7dB
CT100 21.0dB which is about 30% depending on how you look at it, but
remember when we are talking in dB's it is a logarithmic scale so the
attenuation is quite large by comparison. Before you come back on my choice
of 1000Mhz, I picked it because it test the cable to its limits,
incidentally CT167 is 12.8dB

> > I agree that with digital the loss is less of an issue but I
would
> > prefer to have extra bandwidth available.
>
> I got CT100 over RG6 so that I would have this extra bandwidth.

RG6 used to be the cable to go with, but the minimum recommendation for
digital satellite is CT100, these cables were designed specifically for
that
task. I just prefer to have a bit extra up my sleeve ;-) Remember if I do
have any problems perhaps a small kink in the cable I already have much
lower loses

Best Regards

John
jtankard@xxxxxxx

Don't know which one to buy? Productopia does.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/554

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications