Re: UK light switches available

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: UK light switches available
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:34:29 -0000

Nigel,

You're not alone in being uncomfortable about X-10 in this mailing list.

We had a thread a few months back about "alternative" ways of
controlling lighting in particular, including a proposal (from me) about
using NJD midi-controller boxes, which we were considering using for the
complete refitting of a cottage with HA.

The good news is we've now got the required kit to play with (Linux Box
running Apache with Midi Card, NJD box, lights!). The bad news is I've
still not got around to writing the Perl scripts to control it ;-(

(The worse news is that the place still hasn't got a working floor,
which goes a long way to explaining why the fancier stuff has been
delayed!)

The other change is that we're now flood-wiring with CAT5 anyway...

Regards,

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
Tel: +44 181 869 1439