Re: How much?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How much?
  • From: "Brendan" <jbh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:57:10 -0000

Thanks Chris

From: Chris Davenport <chris@xxxxxxx>
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Date: 16 December 1999 11:06
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: How much?

>Brendan,
>
>In my experience with non-PC equipment, blown power supplies used to
>be a problem when we switched equipment off when not in use.  Since
>we shifted to 24/7 operation we haven't blown a single PSU.  Switched
>mode PSU's seemed to be particularly susceptible to this kind of
>failure.
>
>On the subject of electricity costs we recently removed an old storage
>heater from our computer room at work as the waste heat from all the
>computers meant it hadn't been used for years.  Of course the
electricity
>used to run the computers at night is more expensive than the Economy 7
>used to run the old heater AND we have to run air-conditioning in the
>summer months too.  So 24/7 can get expensive.  Now I wonder if we
>could run the computers on Economy 7 at night...?
>
>Chris.

leave a PC
(not

>>>Typical power supplies are about 200W-300W, so probably about
350W
absolute
>>>peak with a bundle of drives running continuously.  I would
expect, from
>>>measuring the power drawn by our machines in the past, that it
would
>>>average around 100W or less in typical use, and a bit less if
the drives
>>>spin down, or there are other power saving measures.  Probably
50W over a
>>>week's measurements?  It depends critically on the processor-
if you are
>>>running a 486 or Pentium under 100MHz, the power will be lower
than
>>>something running at 600MHz or more!
>>>
>>>Guesstimating electricity costs at 7p/kWh, that would be about
9p per
day.
>>>Bear in mind that the power is almost all given off as heat, so
if you
want
>>>to be fair about it, the 100W will mean less power required
from your
>>>heaters...
>>>
>>>I tend to leave my linux machines up continuously (except when
they are
in
>>>pieces on the floor ;-) ).  Windows machines are best rebooted
occasionally
>>>to recover any 'leaked' resources or memory, so might as well
be switched
>>>off when not in use for a day or two.
>>>
>>>Nigel
>>>
>--
>Chris Davenport
>chris@xxxxxxx

>The only fruitcake at overstock.com is our manager.
>He’s giving away a $20 coupon, plus our everyday Free Shipping.
>Take advantage of the savings and selection now.
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/2134

>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1

Get 75% Off Our Best Selling Health and Wellness Books!
SelfCare.com has everything you need to take care of you and your family,
plus spend $40 or more and your shipping is free!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1824

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1