Re: SMS Notification?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: SMS Notification?
  • From: patrick@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:07:58 -0800

raymond <reb.barnet-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=1440
> The other big issue is, how do you intend to get the PC to talk to the
> phone in the first place - is it a particularly fancy one with a
serial
> interface that you can wop 'send this sms' type commands down - none
of
> the phones I've ever owned had this feature.

The GS18 was one of the first phones with integral data capabilities,
and it has an ETSI compliant serial interface. The protocol is a little
arcane, but it's not _that_ difficult.

Other contenders in the market now include: Siemens M1 (actually a data
only module), Motorola timeport with optional serial cable, Nokia 9xxx
with optional serial cable (although the software on the Nokia's very
flaky IME).
The one phone you might expect to use but can't is the Ericsson SH888 -
because it frames the data over the serial cable as if it's IrDA!

If you have a PC card (PCMCIA) slot, then the choice extends: datacards
are available for many phones, including most budget ericssons, the old
nokia 2110 series and so on. Nokia and Ericsson also do complete
'mobiles on a card' from around 200 UKP contract-free.

Patrick

Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1701

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ukha_d&m=1