Re: Autoglide curtain automation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Autoglide curtain automation
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:52:24 -0000

There is an alternative:

Buy a Drapeboss from smarthome.com, and get a UK power supply for it - it
is
about 18VAC at I think 2A, but drape boss can tell you exactly - I bought 3
DIN rail power supplies from RS and mounted them on the corner of the
window
sill so they are hidden by the curtain when open. It can be installed on to
any good quality corded curtain track (metal preferred). Like with the
Swish
it can work with a Universal module, but this time set to continuous.

Advantages:

1. The speed is configurable, so if you are using it with heavy curtains,
you can slow it down a little to cope with the weight.

2. It uses a very high quality stepper motor so should be reliable. One of
my windows is 12' x 8' and has very heavy interlined curtains, and the
motors cope with no problems at all even at full speed.

3. You can send explicit on and off commands, rather than just toggles. If
you want more control, use a TW7223 (I think that is the number), and you
can program in up to 7 (I think) different pre-sets between open and
closed,
and use extended X-10 to control them - useful if you want to use it to say
mask off a Home Cinema screen, and much more flexible if using it with
timers on Comfort or a PC based automation system (My curtains close at
sunset, and the lights come on to 50%).

I know that Mike has a relationship with Smarthome, maybe he can be
persuaded to import them and source a suitable power supply?

Tim.

Simplifying group communications

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1