Re: A word of 'Shed' caution

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: A word of 'Shed' caution
  • From: "K. C. Li" <lbs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:14:24 -0400 (EDT)

> > One would have to bear in mind that yesterday's Homebase prices
were
> > heavily discounted (Introductory Offer + 10% off). After the
offers are
> > finished, their prices would be similar to, say, ours.
>
> Then what's the worry!

We are not. I am merely responding to your comment about asking someone to
spend an extra 60 Pounds because it is the 'right thing to do'. I simply
pointed out that doing the 'right thing' may not cost any more and might
even be cheaper.

> As I said above, if their prices aren't going to be that much
different in
> the long term then where's the problem.  If you are getting quoted
vastly

As stated above, we are not unduly worry about the new competitions (PC
World included) as long as they play a fair game. One or two of us in the
trade have been discussing ways to counter the competition more
effectively. As you said Mark, competition is not new to any business and
we all have to face and accept it.

> in your shoes (having basically been the sole supplier of X10 in the
UK for
> the last few years) I would be putting my point pretty strongly to
your
> suppliers!

We have done our bit of complaining to X-10 UK. Having said that, we have
a very good working relationship with the UK Distributor and frankly they
have been a little embarassed by the Homebase offer. Apparently X-10 UK
didn't deal with Homebase directly. Homebase was supplied by another
company called Response Electronics plc who bought the stock from X-10 UK.
PC World, who is to offer similar kits, was also extremely unhappy about
the Homebase offer. Obviously, the last thing we need (and the first thing
you want) is to have two big companies having a price war on the X-10
products!

> I don't think anyone has accused any of the independents of that.  In
fact
> you guys probably have only been selling X10 for the love of it over
the
> last few years.

Probably a lot of truth in that, Mark. BTW, Response Electronics has a
X-10 Help Line where one could seek 'expert' help on any problems or
queries on the X-10 products. The help line is charged at 25P a minute.
Perhaps if things go pear-shaped for us, I can always seek a position at
the Help Line. :-)

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx