Re: CDDB queries through Proxy anyone?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CDDB queries through Proxy anyone?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:55:21 GMT

If anyone's interested, I've just cracked this one!

I tried installing the proxy client on one of my PC's - that didn't help -
same error.

I just downloaded and installed the update to Audiocatalyst 2.1, and whilst
that in itself didn't improve matters, one of the things changed in this
update is the help file, and after rummaging through there for a while, I
happened upon some references to operation with a proxy server, including
how to supply authentication details to it.

Edit the Audiocatalyst.ini file, and add the following two lines:

ProxyUsername=yourusernamehere
ProxyPassword=yourpasswordhere

using a valid account name and password in the appropriate places.

I did this, and it works like a dream.

Obviously, the requirement for this will vary depending on the particular
proxy server in use, and the configuration of it....

Regards.

Paul G.

>From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] CDDB queries through Proxy anyone?
>Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:10:36 GMT
>
>Thought I'd ask this one _just in case_ but it's possibly a little
>off-topic?
>
>Has anyone any experience of using CDDB queries in Audiocatalyst
through a
>Proxy server?
>
>When I just had a simple dial-up connection to an ISP from the same
machine
>that I run Audiocatalyst on, I had CDDB queries working just fine
(through
>HTTP anyway - I've never been able to get direct TCP/IP to work).
>
>However, when I recently relented on my hatred of B.T. and got Hightway
>installed, I put in a proxy server (MS Proxy 2.0) to give web access to
all
>PC's in the house. As far as that goes, it all works fine. However, I
now
>cannot use audiocatalyst to get CDDB queries through it - Audiocatalyst
>gives the error: "Proxy authentication required" - I've
already
>experimented
>with enabling / disabling access control on the proxy server, & I'm
quite
>sure it's not a permissions issue. I've also filled in a problem report
at
>Xing's tech support website, but _who_ knows if I'll get a reply, or
how
>quickly!! :-(
>
>I don't really have the time at the moment to spend much time
>troubleshooting this (it's quicker to type the CD details in
manually!), so
>any previous experience with this problem that would help point me in
the
>right place & save some of that precious time would be much
appreciated!

>For Info:
>
>Server:
>Windows NT server 4.0 SP5
>Microsoft IIS 3.0
>Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0
>
>Client(s):
>Various Windows versions
>MS IE 5.0
>Web proxy only (CERN proxy) - IE NO Winsock Proxy client installed.
>Audiocatalyst 2.0 - CDDB settings: HTTP, proxy enabled, with correct IP
&
>port address of proxy server (192.168.145.8:80)
>
>Cheers all.
>
>Paul Gordon.

>Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
>FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
>

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Listen to Britany spears and more top artists
now at audiohighway.com!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/395