Re: 2 questions...

Thats really strange Patrick,
A CAT5 cable is no different to normal twisted pair cable used for all
telephone installation, other than it has a higher twist rate to give
BETTER noise immunity.

Which pairs are you using?

Remember that the pinout of the RJ45 connector pairs is
33211244
There is an alternative wiring scheme that goes
43211234 and if you use the wrong colour scheme all 8 wires are connected
correctly from a pin to pin point of view but pairs 3 & 4 will be using
split pairs.

The distances involved in a house shouldnt cause overhearing to any
significant degree even if you do use split pairs.

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation