Re: Non X-10 lighting control...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Non X-10 lighting control...
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:55:25 GMT

Hmmm...

Tricky one that - I could imagine that either could cause as much grief
from
the "trouble & strife"...

Time-consuming hobby is probably much more financially affordable in the
long run.......

PG.

<Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Non X-10 lighting control...
>Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:29:47 +0100
>
> > I never actually tried to build it though, (I think I discovered
girls
>at
> > around that time ;-)))))
>
>Wheras I'm at that stage in my marriage where I either have an affair
or
>get
>some time-consuming hobbies ;-)
>
>Mark Harrison
>European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
>Tel: +44 20 8869 1439

PC's
>Parallel port, signalling into an 8-port "latch" chip (It had
some fancy
>name, which I REALLY can't remember after all these years!!), in turn
>controlling a bunch of relays. - My theory was that all I would have to
do,
>is "print" whichever ASCII character gave me the bit pattern
I needed on
>the
>
>parallel ports' 8 signal lines, which would be seen by the 8 input
lines on
>the "latch chip", which would then "latch" (IE in
response to a momentary
>signal, it would switch states, and stay in that state until another
>momentary signal was received, when it would toggle back again), the 8
>output lines from this chip would then control 8 seperate relays. (with
>appropriate isolation and signal amplification as needed??) VOILA! 8
>individually addressable computer controlled relays...
>
>I never actually tried to build it though, (I think I discovered girls
at
>around that time ;-)))))
>
>Paul Gordon.
>

> >From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)"
<Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
> >To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> >Subject: [ukha_d] Non X-10 lighting control...
> >Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:46:31 +0100
> >
> >My lighting control system is almost all together, but I need some
help
>in
> >the last bit.
> >
> >Can any provide me with
> >
> >:EITHER
> >- The details of how one takes some known MIDI event messages, and
turns
> >them into a ".MID" file
> >
> >:OR
> >- An executable that runs under Windows 98, taking as command line
> >arguments
> >a set of Midi Control sequences, and plays them to the default
system
>Midi
> >device (as defined in Control Panel/Multimedia/Devices)
> >
> >:END
> >

> >For those of you wondering how this gives lighting control, here
we go:

> >What I have:
> >
> >- A web browser in every major room
> >--- OK, just the study at the moment, but the principle holds
> >- A web server running Windows 98, and a freeware HTTP server
> >- A web page that calls a CGI script that runs "Media
Player" with a
> >defined
> >.MID file
> >- An AWE/32 card
> >- An AWE/32 <-> 5 pin Din MIDI cable
> >- An NJD 8 channel MIDI lighting control unit
> >--- Also a CASIO CZ-101 synth for debugging purposes ;-)
> >--- actually, several of them and a MIDI repeater box will be
coming as
> >soon
> >as it works
> >- A house that's wired to give runs of cable from every lighting
circuit
> >back to a central patch panel
> >--- This is a _lot_ of cable
> >--- similarly, runs from every wall switch back to the panel,
since I
>still
> >use switches at the moment
> >
> >The problem at the moment, is that while I have a .MID file to
flash a
> >particular light on and off in sync with the music track from Age
of
> >Empires, what I need is a .MID file that plays a "NOTE
ON" on a
>particular
> >track, with a particular attack velocity to move a single light
;-)

> >I'm happy that I could knock a PERL script together to generate
such a
>.MID
> >file, but need the .MID file format spec.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Mark Harrison
> >European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
> >Tel: +44 20 8869 1439
> >Fax: +44 20 8423 7711
> >--- London Phone numbers have changed - please start to use the
new ones
> >---
> >SMTP: Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx

> >MyPoints-Free Rewards When You're Online.
> >Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
> >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630
> >

> >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> >http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

>MyPoints-Free Rewards When You're Online.
>Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630
>

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

>**ENHANCE SEXUAL PERFORMANCE**
>2 for 1 Offer on all-natural ArginMax for Improved Sexual Fitness
>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/645
>

>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/643