Non X-10 lighting control...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Non X-10 lighting control...
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:46:31 +0100

My lighting control system is almost all together, but I need some help in
the last bit.

Can any provide me with

:EITHER
- The details of how one takes some known MIDI event messages, and turns
them into a ".MID" file

:OR
- An executable that runs under Windows 98, taking as command line
arguments
a set of Midi Control sequences, and plays them to the default system Midi
device (as defined in Control Panel/Multimedia/Devices)

:END

For those of you wondering how this gives lighting control, here we go:

What I have:

- A web browser in every major room
--- OK, just the study at the moment, but the principle holds
- A web server running Windows 98, and a freeware HTTP server
- A web page that calls a CGI script that runs "Media Player"
with a defined
.MID file
- An AWE/32 card
- An AWE/32 <-> 5 pin Din MIDI cable
- An NJD 8 channel MIDI lighting control unit
--- Also a CASIO CZ-101 synth for debugging purposes ;-)
--- actually, several of them and a MIDI repeater box will be coming as
soon
as it works
- A house that's wired to give runs of cable from every lighting circuit
back to a central patch panel
--- This is a _lot_ of cable
--- similarly, runs from every wall switch back to the panel, since I still
use switches at the moment

The problem at the moment, is that while I have a .MID file to flash a
particular light on and off in sync with the music track from Age of
Empires, what I need is a .MID file that plays a "NOTE ON" on a
particular
track, with a particular attack velocity to move a single light ;-)

I'm happy that I could knock a PERL script together to generate such a .MID
file, but need the .MID file format spec.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
Tel: +44 20 8869 1439
Fax: +44 20 8423 7711
--- London Phone numbers have changed - please start to use the new ones
---
SMTP: Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications