Re: No Subject

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: No Subject
  • From: "Mark McCall" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:49:22 -0000

Hi Kieran

> 1: I would would very much like to set up a system using
complex(ish) X10
> macros to control multiple devices and test the states of these
devices before
> deciding whether they should be on/off or other.  Does anyone know if
the
> ActiveHome Automation Interface will do this or is there something
better?

There's lots better than ActiveHome.  It's the "entry level"
computer
controller.  What's your budget Kieran?  What devices do you need
to test the state of?

> 2: Stupid question of the month:  How do most people actually control
there HA
> systems?  I am tempted to set up a number of IR receivers around the
house and
> then have one main handset and maybe a keyring for other myself when I
am
> coming into the house.  If you go down this route can you then program
these IR
> sets to use the macros in the interface or can you only switch on
individual
> devices?

Harwired IR systems are best.  You can use the IR-RF-IR extender
products but they can be a bit hit or miss.

With HomeVision (for example) you can have a single press on
your IR remote do a whole host of things like send out other IR,
X10 and control relay outputs.  With the CommanderX software on
my Links and Hot News pages you can add the 40 quid PC
Remote to your ActiveHome and get very cheap IR control that way.

> 3: What systems are available for touch panels etc.  A backlit pad by
the
> frontdoor would be very useful for controlling devices as you enter
the house.
>  I thought about IR from outside the house but that is dependent on
the above
> question and the range seems quite short.  (I would like to be further
down the
> road than 10 metres if I want a warm house on entering!)

The cheapest ready to use touch panel I have seen is the
Touchlinc unit.  Go to HAS from my links page and look there.  It
comes in either X10 or Serial versions.  I know of one user in the
UK who has one of these...are you on this list :-)

> All in all I would like to set up a system for controlling multiple
devices etc
> from one device capable of providing macros.  Above and beyond this I
would
> probably like to control via IR but I appreciate that this requires
multiple
> receivers due to occassions when line of sight between all points in
the house
> is just not physically possible ;-)

You know, what your really need is a HomeVision :-)  There's
another one just arrived into the UK today.  From the Fedex parcel
tracking website you can tell Keith Doxeys new HV is somewhere
in Standstead airport!!!

Regards

Mark

Mark@xxxxxxx