Re: HA controller - PC or Homevision?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: HA controller - PC or Homevision?
  • From: "Mark McCall" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:48:51 -0000

> Option 1.
> Homevision (probably with attached PC). This gives me everything I
would need today but I
> have concerns about future expansion, and I would like to output
graphical displays to the
> TV not just text.

HV with PC (that's what I'm running) is great (if you have a spare
PC).  I wouldn't worry about the future with HV.  Craig constantly
adds new features with software.  He's also about to release new
hardware add-ons to provide telephone support and extra serial
ports.  If (for example) CeBus was to turn out to be big I'm sure
there would be an add-on like the TW523 that would enable HV to
use it.

> Option 2.
>  A PC with X10 and IR interfaces (anyone recommend a good IR card?)
and some controlling software.

Here's just what you're after Phil...
http://www.appdig.com/irx.html
2 way IR and X10 plus 2 analogue inputs on an ISA card for $99
(around 60 quid plus VAT, Duty & delivery). Of course you'd need
to add software like HAL2000 or something.  I would love to hear
from anyone on this list who has used this board.  It seems
amazing value for money.

Regards

Mark

> Even if I had a homevision I would probably still have a PC attached
to play audio clips and speech. So why don't I just use a PC to do it all?

> I know some of you use homevision and some probably just use a PC, so
I would like to know how you are getting on with them.

> Things I need are the ability to link IR and X10. i.e. macro sends X10
and IR commands.

> I am currently looking at the PC as the best option. I already have
video output (currently use a vga->pal output into video distribution
and wireless IR keyboard). So with some controlling software I could
generate nice TV screens, timers, macros etc...

> I suppose the ideal would be homevision AND a pc, but I think it would
probably be cheaper just to buy an IR card and software.

> Comments? Suggestions? (particularly for IR interface and software)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Phil

> Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

Mark@xxxxxxx