HA controller - PC or Homevision?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: HA controller - PC or Homevision?
  • From: "Phil Hooker" <phil.hooker@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: 2 Dec 1998 13:15:54 -0000

Right lets start a thread on different controller options.

I have whole house audio, video, pc, X10, and IR all setup and working
perfectly.

The big decision is how to control it all. I have come down to two
solutions and would appreciate any feedback on them.

Option 1.
Homevision (probably with attached PC). This gives me everything I would
need today but I have concerns about future expansion, and I would like to
output graphical displays to the TV not just text.

Option 2.
A PC with X10 and IR interfaces (anyone recommend a good IR card?) and some
controlling software.

Even if I had a homevision I would probably still have a PC attached to
play audio clips and speech. So why don't I just use a PC to do it all?

I know some of you use homevision and some probably just use a PC, so I
would like to know how you are getting on with them.

Things I need are the ability to link IR and X10. i.e. macro sends X10 and
IR commands.

I am currently looking at the PC as the best option. I already have video
output (currently use a vga->pal output into video distribution and
wireless IR keyboard). So with some controlling software I could generate
nice TV screens, timers, macros etc...

I suppose the ideal would be homevision AND a pc, but I think it would
probably be cheaper just to buy an IR card and software.

Comments? Suggestions? (particularly for IR interface and software)

Thanks in advance

Phil