Re: Cable and wall sockets

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable and wall sockets
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:54:12 +0000

At 15:34 12/11/98 -0000, you wrote:
>I'd be interested to hear some more on why banana sockets aren't a good
way
>to go? (Since I was about to go this way in an en-suite bathroom!)

They don't look very nice at all, they aren't touch-proof (shouldn't be a
problem with shocks with a 100W amplifier (about 20Vrms, 50V peak to peak),
but might be a problem if your inquisitive child decides to short them with
a screwdriver...

>Maybe I'm missing something, but the advantage of XLR is that you can
carry
>a balanced signal down it, which isn't an option if we're just talking
about
>plugging a pair of speakers into an amp in the next room....

You're missing something ;-)

XLR is just a 3-pin connector, which can carry a few Amps of current with
no difficulty- they're often used for pro audio mic connections, as the 3
connections give you a balanced pair and screen, but they've often been
used for speaker connections too (until Speakon came along, and suddenly
XLRs aren't touchproof enough either).

They are available in various sizes (usually up to about 7 pins, depending
on manufacturer), are fairly rugged, fairly water-resistant when mated
(important if you must have them in the bathroom!), easily available, not
_too_ ugly (there's even some in the public rooms of the palace of
Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh (I know, cos I made the panels ;-) ) etc etc.

AXR is a similar connector, which has been used for mains in industrial
settings (now powercon is trying to replace that application).  The ideal
for home use would probably be Speakon connectors, the sockets look nicest
(just anonymous black!), have 4 pins, 20A current capability (3.2kW into 8
ohms!) and are fairly easily available.  They're also not commonly used for
anything else, which should avoid confusion.  The sockets can all be made
up with crimp terminals, and the plugs using an allen key, so if you can't
solder, they're ideal.

Nigel
--
Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______
Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(