Re: Re: IR Repeater Thru Mains - was - New site for Infrared Remote Manager

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re: IR Repeater Thru Mains - was - New site for Infrared Remote Manager
  • From: "Dan" <dtoma@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:31:25 +0300

Hi,

> Depending on exactly what you want to do, and depending on whether you
> can achieve a known state, you might be able to cludge it. eg if you
> kill the power (via X10 module or other power control device), does the
> function reset to a known state when the power is put back on?

Yes. This is like that: when the system is powered down (from the remote control), during the next power on the SWING function is allwys off. This can be done using infrared too and it is exactly how it is done now.

> If you send an IR command to switch from cool to fan only or something, does
> the function reset to a known state?
No. Only when powered down.

> My Toshiba TV doesn't have discreet codes for anything. I therefore have
> some pronto macros to acheive a known state then issue commands.... eg
> power off which is a toggle.... if I send a 1 the TV will either switch
>to channel 1 if its on, or switch on and go to channel 1 if its off.
> A couple of seconds delay then a power toggle command ensures that the set
> actually goes off no matter what the original state. Same for AV
> inputs... changes to a known state (channel 1) then issues the AV input
> toggle key a number of times to the correct input.

A very good idea, but i recommend you to try my application and then change to all possible codes for the device address you have. I am allmost shore that you will find discrete codes for power on/off. Don't forget something: some commands can use a different code structure than others... let's say for my Sony TV, all the codes use 12 bits, except 16:9 mode which is a more complex code (15 bits). This is the reason that it is very difficult to generate it on Universal Remote Controls, but very easy with my application.

>If this sort of known state is impossible, you've got a couple of
>options.... hardware mods like you and Mark Harrison came up with or a
>forced intermediary.... eg IR input covered so that all can access it is
>a stick on emitter. Commands to stick on emitter issued by a stateful
>controller PC/ Homevision/ etc. if you wanted to still use the original
>remote, the command could be intercepted by the stateful controller and
>then re-issued via the stick on emitter.
This function will  be available in the infrared pair plugins for AutoM8it too.

BR,
Dan

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx