RE: Audiotron vs Rio Receiver - Round 2 - Remote (web) control

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Audiotron vs Rio Receiver - Round 2 - Remote (web) control
  • From: "Tony Butler" <tony@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 14:26:01 +0100

> Can you tell me more about the remote control aspects of the Tron, by
> that I mean the web interface, to me that would be the bigest selling
> point, with DDAR this is not yet fully sorted (with Mark H's help and
> others) JR is improving the situation. However for people who just
want

I've put a few of the web pages here:
http://www.freeranger.co.uk

note - this is not access to a live Audiotron, just copies of the main
screens!!

> You get the idea, I am not happy putting a "in Work" software app on
the
> system like RJ, so that's going on a L* box soon with HomeVision and
> perhaps misterhouse. Now if I did not have the second box and I was
> thinking of getting a MP3 System the Tron looks a lot cheaper, if its
> just working on a network share I don't need a second box.

One of the screens shows where you specify either that it looks
everywhere, or that it looks at specific shares - in my case, a single
share holds all the music.

The web interface gives the greatest control over the audiotron - indeed
until recently, you could only set the IP address this way (default was
a DHCP client), though now most functions are accessible from the front
panel of the device itself (though you can disable access to the network
config if you wish).

The turtle beach guys seem quite helpful and willing to listen to user
requests - recently resulting in the addition of the alarm clock and
windows media streaming format support for example.

Natively, the tron support MP3 (recently I think VBR was added, though a
little flaky ISTR), WMA, WAV.
Streaming wise, it's Icecast, Shoutcast and Windows Media.
No Real Audio support, but that may simply be a matter of time and
enough demand....

There is a documented API (HTTP Get requests basically) for it which
some people on the AT list seem to be using to, for example, flash up a
caller ID on the Audiotron display when the phone rings, or get the
Audiotron to warn you that you left the garage door open (some kind of
HA system drives this I believe).

If you want in, you gotta let me know soonest, or wait a month or two to
see if the Uk distribution comes off at a 1/2 way decent price.....

HTH,

Tony

Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx