RE: Re: Bush Internet Surf Set

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Bush Internet Surf Set
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:32:45 -0000

That's the Internet TV. The set-top box is £19.99. Take another look.
for "Internet" and you'll find the TV, set-top box and keyboard.

I've been looking at the datasheet for the I/O chip inside these things. It
has two serial ports, the second one doubling as IR, so I guess that's the
one that they use for the keyboard/remote control interface. Apparently,
the
modem is a Podule (Archimedes terminology) that, I suspect uses the first
serial port.

Now, if the podule architecture is the same as that used in the Archimedes,
the internal modem will be memory mapped, so the first serial port on the
I/O chip may be unused. In which case, we may be able to patch into this
first serial port, but the software is likely to require patching to use
this port instead of the modem. Hmm.

Alternatively, if the modem podule connects to the serial port on the I/O
chip, it may be possible to remove the modem and connect directly to the
serial port via the podule connectors.

Alternatively, I may be talking out of my arse. The following link may
prove
useful:

http://www-stu.cai.cam.ac.uk/~atm26/riscos/techdocs.html

Apparently, there's also a port of NetBSD that might run on one of these
puppies, though it may need ROMs blowing. Bloody hell, that takes me back
my BBC Micro days. There's a project here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/projects.cgi?token=&mode=viewproj&projn
um=88

Cheers,
Steve