Re: PIR types - who knows the difference between lighting optimised PIRs and security optimised PIRs?

Chris,

I'm using separate PIR detectors - ceiling mount occupancy PIRs and corner
mounted security PIRs.  The occupancy PIRs couldn't be used for security
because they are too sensitive and would trigger a false alarm.  Security
PIRs have pulse count etc... and circuitry to account for things like
background heat, sunlight to minimise false alarms.  There are even quad
pyro detectors where all 4 pyros have to be triggered for the PIR to
switch.
Basically alarm type PIRs aren't any good for occupancy detection and
vice-versa.

Best thing to do is keep your security system separate from your HA
sensors.

The occupancy PIRs I'm going to use in my house are very sensitive and will
trigger with slight movement.  Certain, larger rooms will require 2
detectors to cover the whole area.  I'll send you some info on them.

Simon