Latest message you have seen: RE: Home Highway and CI

PIR types - who knows the difference between lighting optimised PIRs and security optimised PIRs?

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: PIR types - who knows the difference between lighting optimised PIRs and security optimised PIRs?
  • From: Chris Langridge <chrisl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:40:55 -0000

I'm doing some research about PIR's. Have been talking to Philips who do a
very nice range of flush mount devices. Then I discovered (as usual) that
there's a whole bunch of stuff I'm not clear about.

According to Philips the PIRs built for lighting control are more sensitive
than those used for security. The reason of course, is false alarms, and
the
fact that people wathcing the telly don't move as much as bandits.

If this deifference in sensitivity is the case, what are you guys using to
control lighting AND security?

Also: The Philips 12 volt units have an inbuilt timer. They need three
wires
(live, neutral and switch). They are normally open, and close when movement
is detected. Depending on how the timer has been set, the contact will stay
closed for say 5-30 minutes. Now I thought most PIR's purely provide a
signal which the HA controller will use according to it's own logic. I had
never thought that a contact would be closed for say ten minutes and then
released. Have I missed something critical here? Can Comfort or HV handle
this kind of input, and what kind of processes are you guys using to
control
lighting if using standard (is there such a thing!) PIRs.

Sorry if this is all very basic - I'm just getting upto speed on 'sensors'
and have not even purchase my HA interface yet.

Thanks

Chris