Re: Was it "Sir Cam"

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Was it "Sir Cam"
  • From: nickt@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:56:31 -0000

Morning all,

I "thought" I might have been infected by a mail yesterday, and I
saw
I'd sent a mail to the KAT5 users group which I hadn't intended to
send, but its possible I just clicked accidentally.
I was hit by Sircam earlier in the year and it was a real B*****d, -
I'm 99% I'm immune from this now. There's a similar one (using double
extension filenames (filename.doc.pif) or similar, called
W32/Badtrans-B (with associated trojan virus Troj/PWS-AV) see
www.sophos.com or other AV websites, which is doing the rounds at the
moment, that is what I thought this one probably was.
Best to delete anything you're not sure of, and certainly don't open
any odd looking attachments.  It's a pain not using preview, but
probably prudent to turn it off at the mo.

Nick

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I didnt look at most of the virus threads, I simply deleted them.
>
> What was the virus that was inadvertantly posted to Yahoo?
>
> At work we are banned from accessing private email either via POP3
or a
> Webmail interface. Yahoo Groups was considered to be safe but today
when I
> tried to read one of the posts regarding the virus my browser tried
> access something, (cant remember what was in the address bar but it
was
> strange) and the browser said the page cannot be displayed.
>
> My work desktop machine is running Win2K with ALL patches and
updates
> applied and running McAfee VirusScan TC (4.0.4172 latest DAT file).
No virus