[OT] UPS advice

  • To: "Ukha_D" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] UPS advice
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:35:19 -0000

I have a 400VA (or maybe 600VA) UPS that I would like to put inline with my
TV.

The reason for this is that I've got an LCD rear projection model - and
last
time we had a powercut we were watching TV and I was worried that the bulb
might die because the cooling fan continues to run for a little while after
putting the TV into standby.

With a UPS, if the worst should happen, at least I can put the set into
standby and the cooling fan will do its job.  Now, is the TV likely to
prove
an awkward load for the UPS?  There's probably some sort of ballast to
drive
the bulb - probably a metal halide variety - and these aren't a linear load
are they?

BTW, new bulbs are 200 quid.... not quite as bad as some LCD projector ones
costing ~400 quid, but enough!

James H