RE: [KAT5] Sky HiDef

At 20:37 09/04/2006, Keith wrote:

>DVI/HDMI presents a number of problems as I dont have any HDMI kit and
>although I have a DVI TFT for the PC, all my PC's still have analogue
VGA
>outputs. HDCP would be the biggest stumbling block as I would imagine
there
>are all sorts of expensive licencing required to "join the
club".

But couldn't you just pass the HDCP information through, in which
case surely you wouldn't need to licence anything?

>Component HiDef can be carried over RGB KAT5 units and the spare
channel can
>be used for SPDIF Digital Audio.
>
>I can see why Tony is concerned that some protected content may not
work
>over Component especially when I have seen it mentioned that the only
reason
>for an HD Component output on SKY HD is because the early Sky branded
>plasmas that were sold as HD ready do not support HDCP.

I bought a "HD ready" Samsung TV only a few months ago and that
only
has component inputs.  The other issue if they take away the
component outputs is how do you drive 2 devices (a TV and a
Projector) with only one HDMI?

>I have also seen it
>mentioned that SKY may be able to disable the Component output over the
air
>at a later date. Personally I would prefer that they put the effort
into
>making normal SKY+ work as well as my TiVo has done for the last 3 or 4
>years.

HiDef has tempted me back to to Satan TV after a long time refusing
to cough up.   I can't bear to get rid of my TiVo though and I just
know that the SkyHD box is going to be a let down compared to
TiVo.  Why-o-why have TiVo abandoned us?

>This whole "content protection" thing is getting totally out
of order.
>People who are legitimate purchasers of equipment and media are
encountering
>problems and additional expense whilst the content they are trying to
>"protect" is still being pirated by those with criminal
intent.

How long before someone releases a hack for the SkyHD box?  I've
certainly seen stuff on the net suggesting that HDCP has been cracked.

Peter