From: kat5-users@xxxxxxx [mailto:kat5-users@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Keith Doxey
Sent: 09 April 2006 20:38
To: kat5-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [KAT5] Sky HiDef

> Just wondered what Keith was up to at the moment - any chance of a
> DVI/HDMI Kat5 set?
>
> And what of the matrix switcher?

Hi Peter/Tony

Busy working on the switcher at the moment. Will be releasing a smaller 8x8
switcher first as this will satisfy the needs of most people and will be
cheaper to produce than the fully modular unit.

DVI/HDMI presents a number of problems as I dont have any HDMI kit and
although I have a DVI TFT for the PC, all my PC's still have analogue VGA
outputs. HDCP would be the biggest stumbling block as I would imagine there
are all sorts of expensive licencing required to "join the club".

Component HiDef can be carried over RGB KAT5 units and the spare channel
can
be used for SPDIF Digital Audio.

I can see why Tony is concerned that some protected content may not work
over Component especially when I have seen it mentioned that the only
reason
for an HD Component output on SKY HD is because the early Sky branded
plasmas that were sold as HD ready do not support HDCP. I have also seen it
mentioned that SKY may be able to disable the Component output over the air
at a later date. Personally I would prefer that they put the effort into
making normal SKY+ work as well as my TiVo has done for the last 3 or 4
years.

This whole "content protection" thing is getting totally out of
order.
People who are legitimate purchasers of equipment and media are
encountering
problems and additional expense whilst the content they are trying to
"protect" is still being pirated by those with criminal intent.

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/