Re: [KAT5] Outdoor RJ45

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 22:16 +0000, Robert Learmouth wrote:
> Just wondered whether anyone had ever used suitable components/method
> for installing an RJ45 outside, ie frost-proof/waterproof. I fancied
> one on the outside wall so I could sit with me laptop at the patio
> table. Kids are too mad to risk having a long cable run through the
> patio door!

I can meet you halfway, as it were.

I run a bundle of cables down the outside wall of my house from the
wiring cupboard in my dressing room down to Mary's study and the living
room.

We simply bundled them all up and fitted some B&Q (other manfacturers
are available) square-format air venting (thick white plastic.)

The motivation wasn't so much about anti-freezing, since in our bit of
the suburban south-east we never really get deep temperatures - I grow
bananas and palms - but because of concerns about the UV-stability of
the CAT5 sheathing, which we thought might go brittle in a few years if
exposed to direct sunlight.

Because it was above the damp proof course, we simply left drainage
holes at the bottom, on the basis that water would get in, but could
then drain straight out again.

If it's an occasional thing, why not run a cable through the middle of a
hose-pipe?

Mark