[KAT5] Wot a bargain :-)

  • Subject: [KAT5] Wot a bargain :-)
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:19:40 +0100

Hi All,

Just added a Ferguson Freeview box to my collection of source equipment for
KAT5.

Saw it looking sad and lonely on a stall at a car boot sale. Poor little
thing didnt have a remote control and with no buttons on the front panel it
was only useful as a doorstop. It looked in good condition and didnt have
any "burnt" smell to it like a blown up one would so I decided to
risk a
fiver buying it.

Got it home and plugged it in, red light came on...Good Sign :-)

Tried all the Ferguson Satellite codes in my OFA Kameleon manual as it is
the most recent universal remote I have.... NOTHING.

I chose satellite because Ferguson appears in the list of Satellite
Receivers as does OnDigital so that is obviously what they class the box
as.

Tried all the OnDigital codes... NOTHING
Tried all the Thompson codes ... NOTHING

Decided to try searching for the code... NOTHING.

Decided to ring the OFA Helpline on thenice free 0808 number.....

"Please indicate the age of your remote control"
"Press 1 for In Warranty"
"Press 2 for Out of Warranty"

2

"Please redial 0906 xxxxxxx @ £1 per minute"

Hang up

Redial this time chosing "1" :-)

Speak to very nice dutch lady who asks me to hold the remote to the phone.

After a little squealing between their computer and my remote it now has
the
codes for my new freeview box which appears to work OK. Cant say for
definate at the moment as it reports "Bad Signal" on several
channels but
then the OnDigital box is only giving a red square on the same channels and
normal terrestrial TV is suffering from severe atmospheric interference at
the moment as well.

All in all, seems like a fiver well spent :-)