RE: General Questions

  • Subject: RE: General Questions
  • From: Tony Butler
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:48:00 +0000

> the equipment. Do the Kat5's support IR at them moment, or
> does this require auxiliary equipment?

Not yet - Keith is hoping to have it at the UKHA 2004 meeting in May -
though whether that is in quantity or just a prototype, I don't know,
having
said that, there was a prototype at last year's meet, so perhaps it
actually
IS the finished product!)

> I am extremely interested in the Switcher, which I undertand

You and 1billion others ;)

> is under development. Will this also be remotely controlled
> via IR? Lastly, I know that this is an ongoing project, but

Yes, and probably web control and gawd knows what else control too ;)

> could you give a me a rough idea when the switcher is going

That, my friend, is the $64million question - if any of us had a rough
idea,
we'd be camped on Keith's doorstep to be 1st in line to get one ;D

> to be available and a ballpark figure of the price. Obviously

Another hum dinger - the best answer you're gonna get really is "More
affordable than other solutions out there".

As an interim measure, you could look at KAT5 multi drop, where one output
is fed to multiple locations.
I do this at the moment by feeding all my a/v sources into an a/v amp,
which
then feeds a TV and a projector using one TX unit, one RX unit, and one RX
unterminated unit.
With a couple of powermids to do the IR side of things, I can watch any ONE
of the sources at either destination.

I also feed said A/V sources into a cheap IR controlled a/v switcher from
keene, which again is fed over KAT5 around the house - so effectively I
have
two totally independent switchings of a load of AV devices to multiple
locations.
It ain't a KAT5 switcher, but it does the job for now ;)

Cheers,

Tony