Re: Noob

  • Subject: Re: Noob
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:11:00 +0000

Quoting Steve <<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=pivGXYMv5XJtaanUd5yFNJYAauSscDAQNGppVABz-vJt6Lj7bhZsNegTOFB7k7qROuGTO7k6UjAmg8zpXtk9kw">tankman_37@h...</a>>:

> Joined the group just now and thought I'd give a brief summary of my
current
> TV/compy setup.
>
> TV aerial
>
> Signal amp (in loft)
>
> VCR (lounge)
>
> Splitter (in loft, 2 spare outputs)
>
> -> TV lounge (also connected to DVD player and hifi for sound)
> -> TV bedroom 1
>
> Phone (adsl) ------- other extensions
>
> DLink 604 router -\-\-\- laptop (wireless card)
>
> Desktop (soon to be server?)
>
> To this setup is being added:
> - SKY (tomorrow at some point during the day)
> - 2 new TV sockets
> - Plus I want to be able to stream vids and music to various places
around
> the house. This is a little further in the future, so will take a
long-term
> backseat I suspect! :-)
>
> Some interesting projects for me there to get all this integrated. Who
wants
> to give me the first prod in the right direction? LOL I'd also like to
> advise that anything I do must of course have the requisite high SWMBO
> factor!

Hi Steve,

Welcome to KAT5-Users. Picking up on one point in your message...
"I want to be able to stream vids and music to various places around
the
house."
... KAT5 is not a streaming system.

KAT5 distributes High Quality S-Video and Stereo Audio over the PHYSICAL
medium
of CAT5 cable. It is not Ethernet, it sends balanced analogue audio and
video
signals over your CAT5 infrastructure.

Because it is not ethernet, there is no encoding, compression or decoding
performed on the signals and the resultant picture is exactly the same as
if
the TV was adjacent to the source connected by an S-Video lead.

Hope that clarifies that point.

On this list you will also find people who are extracting video from TiVo
and
archiving it onto central servers which they then playback with PC's using
TVout. Some people have the PC adjacent to the TV, others keep it remote
and
use KAT5 to carry the PC's video signals to the TV/Projector.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv