[KAT5] Re: Wiring House (Next Step)

  • Subject: [KAT5] Re: Wiring House (Next Step)
  • From: "Ant" <ant_marsh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:54:20 -0000

Hi

I've worked out why it wasn't working....their site only works in Internet
=
=3D=0D
Explorer!!

Don't even get me started on things like that....

Thanks for coming back to me.

:o)
Ant

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Steve Jones" <email@s...>
wrote:
> Yes it is screwfix.com.  It works for me.   Try this link
> http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp
>=20=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Regards=20
>=20
>=20
> Steve Jones=20
> mailto:email@s...=20
>=20
>=20
<stuartwoodhall@h...=
=3D=0D
> =3D
>=20
>=20
> wrote:
> > Ant
> >     Screw fix seem to have some good deals on network stuff cable
patch=
=3D=0D
=20
> > panels and sockets
> >     Its worth a look
> >=20
> >     Stu
> >=20
> >=20
> > >From: "Ant" <ant_marsh@y...>
> > >To: kat5-users@xxxxxxx
> > >Subject: [KAT5] Re: Wiring House (Next Step)
> > >Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:28:23 -0000
> > >
> > >Hi all
> > >
> > >Thank you for all of your replies and sorry for not
responding sooner.=
=3D=0D

> > >I have a few points I'd like to clarify, a few definite
decisions I've=
=3D=0D
=20
> > >made=3D
> > >  and a few more
> > >questions that I'd be keen to have your advice on.
> > >
> > >Clarification:
> > >----------
> > >1 - I guess I've been using the term "network" a
little loosely. I hav=
=3D=0D
e =3D
>=20
>=20
> > >ind=3D
> > >eed designed
> > >a structured cabling system using cat5e and nothing else run
to a cent=
=3D=0D
ra=3D
>=20
> l=20
> > >l=3D
> > >ocation and
> > >not daisy-chained.
> > >
> > >2 - I intend to use it for LAN, audio and video and who knows
what els=
=3D=0D
e =3D
>=20
> in=20
> > >=3D
> > >the future
> > >and was simply wishing to know of any "clashes". I
was aware of potent=
=3D=0D
ia=3D
>=20
> l=20
> > >i=3D
> > >ssues with
> > >using telephones but do not intend to go down that route
anyway.

> > >Decisions (So far):
> > >---------------
> > >
> > >1 - Will be using cat5e.
> > >2 - Currently have 32 wires throughout the entire house - am
thinking =
=3D=0D
of=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >ad=3D
> > >ding a
> > >few more.
> > >3 - Electrician has agreed to run all cable to required
points from No=
=3D=0D
de=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >Ze=3D
> > >ro and
> > >fixing metal boxes to wall prior to plasterers coming in for
=A3250. I=
w=3D=0D
il=3D
>=20
> l=20
> > >b=3D
> > >e doing all
> > >punching down and fitting of sockets etc. and supplying
cable. I thoug=
=3D=0D
ht=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >th=3D
> > >is was a
> > >very good price - any comments welcome.
> > >
> > >Further Questions:
> > >---------------
> > >
> > >1 - Sharing Audio - I notice you mentioned about speakers
being an iss=
=3D=0D
ue=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >Ke=3D
> > >ith - can
> > >you clarify this further regards how to use audio then? Am I
right in =
=3D=0D

> > >think=3D
> > >ing that by
> > >this you mean audio should be "sent" via cat5e, for
example, to an=20
> > >amplifie=3D
> > >r rather
> > >than speakers themselves?
> > >
> > >2 - "At least 4 wires to every room" -
interestingly I have done this =
=3D=0D
on=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >th=3D
> > >e design
> > >already although I'm still thinking about adding more. I know
this may=
=3D=0D
=20
> > >soun=3D
> > >d daft but
> > >I've got none going to any bathooms or toilets - has anyone
actually r=
=3D=0D
un=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >ca=3D
> > >t5e to
> > >such rooms?
> > >
> > >3 - Is there anywhere else I might want to consider running a
cable e.=
=3D=0D
g.=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >an=3D
> > >  external
> > >socket?
> > >
> > >4 - Shielded or Unshielded cable? I really can't decide - to
be on the=
=3D=0D
=20
> > >safe=3D
> > >  side I'd
> > >prefer to go with shielded but is it really necessary for
home network=
=3D=0D
in=3D
>=20
> g?
> > >
> > >5 - Can anyone recommend a good place to get bulk cable from
(will nee=
=3D=0D
d =3D
>=20
> a=20
> > >g=3D
> > >ood
> > >400-500 metres) and double RJ45 sockets etc.? Have so far
been looking=
=3D=0D
a=3D
>=20
> t=20
> > >B=3D
> > >  and Q
> > >(www.diy.com) and dabs.com
> > >
> > >Once again, thank you for all of your comments - has all been
extremel=
=3D=0D
y =3D

<ant_marsh@y...> wrote:
> [...]
have a few =
=3D=0D

> > >questi=3D
> > >ons left that
hoping this will =
=3D=0D
be=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >the=3D
> > >  place to get

different type=
=3D=0D
s =3D
>=20
> of=20
> > >c=3D
> > >able and am
network cab=
=3D=0D
le=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >and=3D
> > >  sockets -
> > >greatly=3D
> > >  boosted by

latter will =
=3D=0D
be=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >mor=3D
> > >e expensive
> > >but
have any exper=
=3D=0D
ie=3D
>=20
> nce=20
> > >=3D
> > >with cat
> > >6?

data and audio/video or i=
=3D=0D
s =3D
>=20
> it=20
> > >b=3D
> > >etter to
> > >use

it being hand=
=3D=0D
ed=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >ove=3D
> > >r to me
offered to pu=
=3D=0D
t =3D
>=20
> it=20
> > >i=3D
> > >n (although
> > >can't
Has anyone el=
=3D=0D
se=3D
>=20
>=20
> > >tak=3D
> > >en this
> > >route

> >=20
> > Express yourself with cool new emoticons http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/=
=3D=0D
my=3D
>=20
> emo
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
> http://www.ukha-archive.com/=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=09
>=20
>=20=20
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D129gc0gjk/
M=3D298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=3Dgr

oups/S=3D1705004726:HM/EXP=3D1092421606/A=3D2164330/R=3D0/SIG=3D11eamf8g4=
/
*http://www.
> netflix.com/Default?mqso=3D60183350> click here=09
>=20=20
> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=3D298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
D=3Dgroups/S=3D
> :HM/A=3D2164330/rand=3D297310011>=20=09
>=20
>=20
>   _____=20=20
>=20
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>=20
>=20
> *	To visit your group on the web, go to:
>=20=20=20
>=20
> *	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>=20=20=20
>=20
> *	Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
.=20