RE: General Q''s

  • Subject: RE: General Q''s
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:07:00 +0000

Hi Dean,

There is no difference electrically between 568A and 568B. The only
difference being the Green and Orange pairs are transposed. As long as both
ends are wired the same there is no problem.

I believe that the most common one in the UK is 568B.

blue pair on 4&5
orange pair on 1&2
green pair on 3&6
brown pair on 7&8

Even if I have got the suffix wrong, that is the colour code that is most
used in the UK and the one that KAT5 mentions in any documentation.

The IR units arent quite ready yet but it is technically possible to
connect
more than one IR receiver to the KAT5 receiver however you could run into
problems with long leads to the IR receiver. It should ideally be connected
to its driver circuitry as close as possible.

You could use an IR repeater system to drive an IR LED that fired the
command at the KAT5 Receiver but in doing that you may as well fire it
directly at the source equipment.

Driving 3 TV's from a single KAT5 receiver would require a distribution amp
and the long video leads from there to the rooms could degrade the picture.
A far easier method is to use a couple of KAT5 RXU's for two of the TV's
and
the normal KAT5 Receiver on the third TV. KAT5 units are all capable of
carrying Composite or S-Video.

To do the distribution as you describe defeats the whole concept of KAT5
because you would be running dedicated video cables to rooms that can only
ever be used for that purpose whereas CAT5 cable can be used for all sorts
of devices both now and in the future.

A few thoughts on the audio side....

Do you already have the amp and QED volume controls or is that on your list
of toys to buy ?

The reason I ask is that using passive volume controls means you are
continuously driving the amp and quite a high level and then tuning it down
to the desired level in the room. This means the amp works much harder and
you can also only ever have the same source playing in the all the rooms as
they are driven from the same amp.

Most modern amplifiers have IR control so 3 low cost amplifiers would allow
you to drive only the speakers you wanted and you would only be using the
amount of power you needed for the desired volume. As an added advantage,
because each amp would have its own input selector you could have different
sources playing in different rooms if required (or all playing the same).

The three amps could still be centrally located and you wouldnt need to fit
volume controls on the walls as you would use the IR repeater to control
them.

Hope that helps

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk