RE: KAT5 Website Updated

  • Subject: RE: KAT5 Website Updated
  • From: Kenneth Watt
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:12:00 +0000

<SNIP>

> So, in the domestic situation, if my 10 year old telly hasn't suffered
any
> burn-in yet I'm guessing my projector tubes will pass their 10,000hr
life
> long before they have any
>
> M.

I'll stick with the LCD route thanks ;-)

Apart from that my Pioneer 7** DVD has a built in screensaver, for guess
what...preventing screen burn whilst on pause!

Admittedly the chances of it being noticeable are small, but you never
know and PITW, Phil is paranoid about it so I reckon it is something to
think about. Another thing to remember is that CRT screens have been
getting steadily better and far cheaper in relation to CRT projectors
simply as you have volume of sales, LCD projectors have done likewise,
CRT is a limited market and the prices are stratospheric for the good
stuff simply as there is no volume to lower the price. Now, why on earth
would a manufacturer invest megabucks in improving the life of those
products? The development that has gone into CRT projection makes CRT
projection look like a hulking dinosaur of display systems, I admit it
is still, probably, the best display quality for a large cinematic home
theatre but at a huge cost to both purchase and maintain as well as,
IMO, flexibility.

And if you think it's cheap to maintain, go and get the guns aligned
professionally or a new tube put in ;-)

This is of course just my opinion on the subject and I'm probably
talking twaddle as usual. Still keeping my noisy LCD projector though
and I may even buy another one, finances permitting, later this year :-)

K.