RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: BUTLER, Tony, FM
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:39:00 +0000

> > B) 802.11 wireless LAN, with each appliance running a mini
> > web server so it
> > can be controlled from a PDA or smart remote, or indeed over
> > the internet :)
>
> That would be my favoured route, better range than Bluetooth,
> much more
> kit available, problem is I don't think it will be long before most of
> the TV makers will be using Bluetooth on there remotes

Indeed. Everything is converging, but on different technologies :(
Tv's/STB's are getting smarter, hell even fridges are getting internet
connectivity, so LAN connectivity makes most sense, but equally the remotes
are getting smarter, with 2 way comms to the devices etc.
We've got PDA's that can act like learning remotes, and learning remotes
with
games and calendars on them - really, a bunch of people from hifi, home
appliance,
phone, pc worlds need to get together and have a long hard think about
things.

Then they can come up with a smart pda/remote/phone that controls
everything
in the
house, a central server for controlling it all from the web and/or
streaming
CCTV etc
out to the web, and of course, Keiths KAT5 switch switching a/v sources
between all
the different zones in your house - indeed it may even interface to the
server to
allow you to stream an a/v source from your house to where ever in the
world
you are
with your (wireless, naturally!) internet connection!

Tony.

Visit our Internet site at <a href="http://www.rbsmarkets.com";>http://www.rbsmarkets.com</a>