RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: BUTLER, Tony, FM
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:31:00 +0000

> The phone companies use IrDA and the PDA market seem to like
> it as well,
> but again it is a limited market, I mean what can you actually achieve
> with it that is of any great use to a majority of users? Bear in mind

I think you'll find that the laptop/pda/phone market is actually quite
large
:-)
I don't know the technical details of IRDa vs IR, but I suspect it is
something
to do with IR being limited for two way data comms purposes. After all, I
can't
see that it would have been adopted 'just for the sake of it'
IrDA modems are used with PDA's and Laptops worldwide all the time....

> that Bluetooth is just around the corner and that the G3

Bluetooth has been 'just around the corner' for a number of years now. I
think it
is finally being adopted, albiet slowly - 802.11b is somewhat of a rival
for
it and
is becoming increasingly popular - there are advantages and disadvantages
both,
so it may be some time before a clear winner emerges...

> services which
> demand a higher data rate than IrDA can cope with, AFAIK, so
> businesses
> will likely switch to this for wireless comms between
> laptops, PDAs etc.

Depends on what sort of 3G applications ppl come out with. If there is a
requirement
to stream high volumes of data from phone to laptop, I'm not sure that
bluetooth will
be able to cope with that anyway.....

just my 2p worth.

T.