was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: simon still
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 16:30:00 +0000

>snip> > Prototyping is not quite complete. Still messing with
IRDA
> > but that looks
> > less likely as I want reliability.
> >
> > I would rather have 100% of nonIRDA users happy than try to
> > get IRDA working
> > and have flakey IR for everyone else.
>
>Nooooooo!!!!! IRDA could be soooooo useful!!! I don't think
>you're the only one having probs with IRDA - when snip
>If you do decide to ditch IRDA in order to appease the IR crowd,
>is it likely you'd return to it again in the future????

this sounds rather familiar. damned Pace cable box uses IRDA which means no
learning remotes or remote extenders and the NTL remote doesnt learn youre
TV's volume (a'la Sky) so you end up constantly switching between two
handsets.
One4All have managed to get one of their remotes to work and Tivo have a
special blaster arrangement that's powered by an external wall wart (talk
about messy - there's an IR-in socket on the back of the Pace box but Pace
say that it needs to be activated in the box software which of course NTL
havent done.)